It’s not lost on us that we have been quiet over the past ten days. While our country mourns the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Rayshard Brooks and the countless other Black men and women who have been victimized by racial violence, we too have felt the overwhelming dread and despair that such atrocities could still occur in our country in 2020.
However, our silence was not without purpose. We’ve come together to look inward, discuss our own decision-making and lean-in to help create, inspire and accelerate change for ourselves, our communities and our partners.
We stand with and behind our partners, colleagues & friends in the sports and entertainment industry– both domestically in the U.S. and globally– and support their leadership in being a voice for change as sports has always been and continues to be a catalyst for change.
What’s happening in this country is a legitimate social and cultural movement; a sustained effort to right the wrongs of history and provide equal standing in all walks of life to the people of the United States of America, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation or beliefs. 4FRONT is committed to ensuring this movement will sustain.
We believe Black Lives Matter. In fact, “matter” is the bare minimum. We believe in celebrating Black lives, Black excellence and our Black friends, family, colleagues and neighbors.
We acknowledge that we are not experts in this subject and commit to closing the gaps in our knowledge of racism in this country through reading, listening and empathizing with experts who have experienced this blight firsthand.
We acknowledge that we will make mistakes in this process and are committed to accepting constructive criticism gracefully, in an effort to further our knowledge on this issue.
Finally, to help accelerate the aforementioned change within our own organization, 4FRONT has committed to the following initiatives:
- • We will encourage all members of our team to register to vote and will commit to allow ample time for all employees to vote on election days in their city.
- • We will give all employees an additional PTO day specifically for community service, allowing our team to give their time and talents to communities in Dallas, Denver and Chicago.
- • We will begin a company-wide anti-racist book club, focused on educating ourselves on these complex issues and facilitating oftentimes difficult conversations about race.
- • We will re-examine our commitment, as well as define our accountabilities, to invest time, talent and resources with the goal of creating mentorship and career opportunities for a more diverse and inclusive industry.
- • We will provide lists of resources to all employees about Black-owned businesses in their city and organizations that need their help in the fight for social justice.
- • We will provide forums for company-wide discussions on difficult topics around race, helping each of us to individually expand our perspectives on various issues.
- • We will hold ourselves accountable to the above by adding a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Chair to our Culture Club to spearhead these and future initiatives.
Through these initiatives, we hope to encourage our own 4FRONT family, the wider sports business community, and the country as a whole to put the work in required to enact legitimate institutional change.
At 4FRONT, our core values have always stood for everyone in our community, regardless of race and now we have the chance to enact those values and support this as a movement, not a moment.